Old Rappahannock County, originally embracing lands lying on both sides of the Rappahannock River, was organized in 1656 and was formerly a part of Lancaster County. In 1692 Old Rappahannock was abolished. The portion lying south of the river was taken to form Essex County, and the area north of the river formed the county of Richmond. Records of Old Rappahannock and Essex counties, on which this work is founded, date from 1655 and are on file at the courthouse in Tappahannock, Essex County. Some marriage bonds of the period 1804 to 1853 were previously copied into the marriage register, instituted as the official catalogue of marriages.In compiling this work, Mrs. Wilkerson used not only the marriage bonds found in the register and the marriage register itself, but also inferential marriage proofs derived from wills, deeds, and court order books. The result is a work of astonishing magnitude; the period covered runs to nearly 250 years and the number of persons namedΓÇöincluding brides, grooms, parents, and guardiansΓÇötouches 10,000. The text is arranged alphabetically throughout and includes the date of the marriage record and the source.