This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1881 Excerpt: ...only rests on tradition, that the anchorhold at Carrow was situated on the sloping ground to the south-west, near the main road. According to Blomefield Lady Julia Lampert was anchoress in 1528. There were several anchorholds for recluses in Norwich. One in the churchyard of S. Julian's, another at S. Etheldred's, a third at S. Peter's Southgate, and others at S. John's Timberhill, All Saints', and S. John's de Sepulchre. Some of the recluses were nuns, but most of them belonged to the priesthood. They withdrew themselves from the world for life, and most interesting accounts of their habits and living will be found in the Art Journal of 1861, and in The Churchman's Magazine of 1863. On the south side of the chancel is the Chapel of S. John, the foundations of which are nearly perfect; and this, like the rest of the church, had arcading round the walls, remnants of which still remain. Dugdale and Blomefield, both of whom most carefully chronicle every chapel that was ever known to exist in all churches they write upon, mention these two chapels only as connected with Carrow Priory church. This is good evidence that no others were attached to the building. A Lady Chapel there certainly was not, and the church being dedicated to the Blessed Virgin might easily account for this. Near the end of the south transept a wall was erected somewhere about the fifteenth century. It may have been intended to form one wall of a later straight staircase to the library and dormitories above, but more probably formed an almonry, or closet. The original staircase was circular, and the first two steps of it still remain in situ on the south-east side of the slype. We now come to the domestic and semi-domestic apartments; and first, as is usual, is the slype or passage, out of...