This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1882 edition. Excerpt: ...westward carried the day, and so Marquette, named after the great Jesuit explorer, attracted population and capital instead. The celebrated Pictured Rocks stretch from Munesing Harbor eastward along the coast, rising in some places to the height of two hundred feet from the water in sheer precipices without beach at the bases. They show a countless succession of rock-sculptures, glowing with brilliant color, yellow, blue, green, and gray, in all shades of dark and light. Here the dull pages of geology blossom like the rose in forms and tints of indescribable beauty. The rock-pictures succeed each other in such swift succession that they can hardly be enumerated, sweeping from curve to curve for mile after mile. In them the imagination can easily see the likeness of castles, towers, cathedrals, processions, the tracery of tropical foliage, and what not; oftentimes so vivid is the resemblance, that the most sober observer is forced to admit the reality. Passing the Chimneys and the Miner's Castle, we see a wonderful detached mass called Sail-Rock. This so closely resembles a sloop with the jib and mainsail spread, that at a short distance away one would fancy it a real boat at anchor near the beach. One of the most striking of the rock-formations past which we sail in wondering admiration is the Grand Portal, so named by the early voyageurs, who, it may be said, christened many of the most interesting sights on the shore of Superior, for these hardy adventurers never failed to show a keen eye for the wonderful and beautiful. This rock is one hundred feet high by one hundred and sixty-eight feet broad at the water-level; and the cliff above the arch lifts eighty-five feet higher. The Portal opens into a grand vaulted cave arched with yellow...