This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1891 Excerpt: ... In 1811 it was moved to new quarters on Mulberry street, where it had a brief career. In 1821 it was reopened, but again languished.3 In compliance with the joint memorial the Legislature passed a bill turning over the property and franchises of the college, conditional upon the payment of a debt of $7000 which rested upon it. This condition was complied with by the Trustees, and due preparations having been made, the department of Arts and Sciences was opened with a faculty of eleven professors in the fall of the same year, by a public address delivered by Mr. John P. Kennedy, Professor of History. In the course of this address Mr. Kennedy made an admission which foreshadowed the failure of the effort. He said " there is no hope of an adequate reward " (for the professors); "the Faculty do not expect that."4 Now, teachers 1J. T. Ducatel was professor of mineralogy and geology. 8 Minutes of Trustees. 3 Joint Memorial, 1830.. 4 Mr. Kennedy's printed address. cannot work without pay, and generally need it pressingly on account of their poverty. Their enthusiasm may cause them to persevere for a time, but some compensation is necessary to secure permanent effort. So the venture had a brief career,1 and in 1851 it was again " reorganized," to pass through another short phase of its existence. In 1854, at the solicitation of the Faculty and in order to advance the college to the "highest grade," the Regents permitted a mortgage of $5000 to be placed on the property. This amount was accordingly raised and used to erect a third story and otherwise improve the building. In 1876 a committee reports that all teaching has been suspended and the building is partly unoccupied. In 1878 an act was procured by the Legislature author...
Tags: Medical School Guides,